The quirky design of the Mazda 5 makes it a stylish, practical, and efficient family car. The diesel model offers great mileage to the gallon, and most owners will tell you that the Mazda 5 is a very dependable MPV. That is until you get to the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter).
The DPF comes fitted to almost all eco-friendly diesel vehicles and can do a great job in reducing the emissions from the exhaust, protecting the environment and allowing the manufacturers to claim great carbon emission figures. However, it is also common for DPFs to malfunctioning, causing headaches for owners.
The DPF works by filtering the particulate matter from the exhaust fumes of the vehicle. The gasses are able to pass through the DPF unhindered but the particulate matter (soot) is trapped and deposited within the DPF, stopping it from being released into the atmosphere. In order stop the DPF from becoming clogged it goes through a “regeneration” process once the level of soot deposited within it reaches 45% capacity. This is when the ECU causes the DPF to heat up to extreme temperatures and burn off the soot. Though, in order for the regeneration process to work, it requires that the vehicle be driven at a high rev range for several miles on a motorway. As many MPV owners mainly use their vehicles for stop/start city trips – dropping the kids to school for e.g. – it is common for the regeneration process to fail. Too many consecutive failed regeneration processes will eventually cause the DPF to become blocked beyond repair. Once this happens there are only two viable options:
- You can either replace the old DPF with a new one, this can be very expensive (approximately £1500.00!) and leaves you open to the risk of facing the same problem in the future.
- Or you can remove the DPF altogether.
Here at DPF-Solutions we have successfully removed the DPF from hundreds of vehicles over the many years and we do this by removing the DPF and reprogramming the ECU so the vehicle functions flawlessly without the DPF. We also offer a Smoke Correction service which is where one of our professionals will recalibrate the injectors so they
release less smoke, so harmful emissions from the exhaust are kept to a minimum even without the DPF. This guarantees an MOT pass! (As far as we are aware, we are the only firm in the UK to offer this service when removing the DPF!)
A faulty DPF can mean that your vehicle suffers from:
- of power/No throttle response
- Poor fuel consumption
- Particulate Filter light on the dashboard
- Difficult to start or not start at all
- Limp Mode – restricted performance beyond a certain rev range
- It could also result in a harmful build of back pressure in the exhaust which could lead to other serious problems.
Having the DPF removed by one of our professionals will result in:
- An immediate increase in power and throttle response.
- Better Fuel Economy
- No more Limp Mode
- No more warning lights
- And you may also benefit from longer life expectancy of the Turbo Charger, Engine, and Injectors.
If you would like us to resolve your DPF problems, or you just need some advice, please don’t hesitate to call our office on 0871 2887 666 or from a mobile call Gary on 07849 520 581, we are always here to help.